The blue economy of the EU Atlantic area is one of the largest in Europe. It counts for €65 billion gross value added and employs over 1.2 million people. But what’s in for it next?
At the doorstep of a new decade, with a new Commission and new funding instruments, the Atlantic stakeholders are reviewing how they can help decarbonise our economy, reduce marine pollution and promote a sustainable blue economy.
The 6th Atlantic Stakeholder Platform Conference (12-13 November, Porto, Portugal), the annual event of the Atlantic Assistance Mechanism, was a perfect occasion to discuss all of this, as well as:
- the revision and upgrade of the Atlantic Action Plan
- the role of ports as blue economy hubs in the Atlantic Area
- open innovation and creating a network of innovative ports
- possible funding opportunities for the maritime industry
At the same time, the INTERREG ATLANTIC AREA programme discussed specific environmental actions and further possibilities to promote climate action in its next programming period.
More information about the conference
- Publication date
- 13 November 2019
- Directorate-General for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries