Do you care about our oceans and seas and got a great idea how to support them? Then maybe the EU missions’ call for ideas is just for you!
Inspired by the Apollo 11 mission to put a man on the moon, the European research and innovation missions aim to deliver solutions to some of the greatest challenges facing our world. This includes protecting and restoring the health of our oceans, seas, coastal and inland waters.
The Commission is designing and creating these missions together with input from European citizens. This will ensure that the missions meet their expectations and needs. As part of this process, we have launched an interactive pilot platform so that anyone can put forward their own ideas and vote for the ones they like best. The opportunity to submit proposals will be open until 6 September, and voting will remain open until 14 September. So check it out now!
The results of the call for ideas will be presented at the online ‘European Research & Innovation Days’ (22-24 September 2020). The selected missions will be announced at the end of 2020 and launched in 2021.
Aims of mission for healthy oceans, seas, coastal and inland waters
A mission in the area of healthy oceans, seas, coastal and inland waters will be a powerful tool to raise awareness of their importance among citizens and help develop solutions on a range of issues.
- systemic solutions for the prevention, reduction, mitigation and removal of marine pollution including plastics
- transition to a circular and blue economy
- adaption to and mitigation of pollution and climate change in the ocean
- sustainable use and management of ocean resources
- development of new materials including biodegradable plastic substitutes, new feed and food
- urban, coastal and maritime spatial planning
- ocean governance
- ocean economics applied to maritime activities
Video: Let’s fulfil our EU missions
Mission area: healthy oceans, seas coastal and inland waters
- 1 September 2020
- Generaldirektoratet for Maritime Anliggender og Fiskeri